Friday, December 9, 2011

Danger Averted With a Happy Ending

The other evening at work went beyond hectic to chaotic, so when I was approached by an upset family member not once, but twice, I had a horrible sinking feeling that my organization for the day was shot if I gave her more time than I had to. Also I have an instinctive fear of angry people, so I avoid them rather than approaching and trying to establish a rapport. Penny wise and pound foolish, as she complained to the management and I was suspended the next day, and spent the next two days off in a fever of anxiety about whether or not I would get to keep my job.

I prayed a lot, meditated, tried to keep myself from beating myself up too much, and thought about how to prepare myself psychologically to drop everything at any time for any reason, cheerfully. This is called "customer service." I didn't get as much done on my days off as I would normally have.

Today [Friday] I waited to hear from the DNS, as I was normally scheduled Saturday and Sunday, and had just about resigned myself to having them off instead of working. I went to an appointment, picked out a gift for my daughter's birthday, and was returning to Puyallup to have my PPD read* and wondering if it was moot, pulled into the parking lot at work as my phone was ringing with an unfamiliar number. It was the DNS, asking to see me.

In his office, he said that a lot of people think I have a cold demeanor, but that there was really nothing to the complaint against me. So I gave my version of how I would be very happy to work on improving my approach to people, and he set up some sort of remedial sessions with the staff development individual, and I believe there was a meeting of the minds. And I have my job.

Cause for celebration, so I went out to India Karma with my husband and daughter and we had Vegetable Korma, Bharta with tandoor-roasted eggplant pureed and spiced, with peas and potatoes or whatever, Channa Masala as my husband likes garbanzos, and an extra dish of Vegetable Biryani. I like to have things to bring home. Also my daughter ordered Saag Naan, which is sprinkled with spinach and delicious, and we had Papadum as an appetizer. I discovered they have mango juice, which is just about as good as Mango Lassi which is made with yogurt, which I am avoiding as a dairy product.

Yum.

*PPD: a test to see if one has been exposed to Tuberculosis, which is read by a nurse in 2-3 days so is time sensitive.

No comments: