Thursday, August 16, 2012

Sequelae

I have resolved that my recent conflict, experienced on initially meeting Mick at WorkSource, is a golden opportunity to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civiliza--oops, wrong sound track. An opportunity to learn new skills in building relationships with people, especially when one of us in the past has displayed results-oriented, my-way-or-the-highway attitudes. Especially when the topic for today's Job Club was reputed to be about "Attitudes."

Boy, does that topic bring up memories of such consistent and helpful feedback from teachers and other adults, that I have a bad "attitude." What it always seemed to mean, in retrospect, was that I was capable of thinking for myself, came to a differing conclusion from the powers that be, and honest in sharing my opinions at any time and place that I felt like it.

So I was concerned because of the Great High Heel episode, anticipating being reamed out [either personally or as part of the collective] for having a bad attitude, and ready to don war paint for today. However, I reasoned that if I don a spiritual perspective, with the motivation of service, I can attain an attitude beyond the reproach of anyone.

Up late yesterday evening due to caffeine, I memorized the quotation from 'Abdu'l-Baha in Paris Talks which has been turned into a song. It was either memorize, or die from the aggravation of jumbled and missing lyrics:

Strive that your actions day by day may be beautiful prayers. Turn towards God, and seek always to do that which is right and noble. Enrich the poor, raise the fallen, comfort the sorrowful, bring healing to the sick, reassure the fearful, rescue the oppressed, bring hope to the hopeless, shelter the destitute!

I figured that is the attitude with which few can find fault, so I strengthened it by donning a little make up [for me, a little goes a long way] in lieu of war paint, a matching silk shirt and tie, praying mighty prayers and singing songs all my way in to the Job Club this morning, and marching in with a smile on my face to forge a new friendship with Mick.

It was a productive meeting, devoid of criticism, full of encouragement, with full participation, and before Mick left I gave him my "handout" on high heels, cited in the last post for those stalwart souls with the fortitude to read it. I feel myself turning a corner in my intentions.

After lunch at home, my husband drove from Eatonville and met me in Puyallup and I drove him to a doctor's appointment in Auburn, which would have been beyond his level of endurance and would have stretched his coping skills. We had a lovely afternoon and dinner together.

No comments: