Monday, June 22, 2009

Creamy Orange-Colored Soup

I discovered at Marlene's Deli [on 38th Street in Tacoma] where turmeric comes from. I've known about turmeric a few years, but only as a passing acquaintance: a bright yellow powder. I was showing Pearl and Nick where Marlene's is, and the small corner with hideously expensive organic produce, when I came across a root labeled "turmeric."

I could have mistaken it for a small sawn-off finger, with a paper-thin brown, rather humble skin, but orange inside like a carrot. A root. About $10 a pound, but it would probably take about forty or fifty to make a pound. I've been grating it into my dishes, along with the garlic, which I also grate, and the ginger. It's great, and I'm very grateful I found it.

Today's soup is orange-colored, and very simple:

Take a butternut squash and halve it crossways, then lengthwise, as the seeds are in pockets at both ends. Bake it on oiled foil for 45 minutes to an hour on 400 degrees.
Meanwhile, cook one cup red lentils ["dahl"] with two cups water, very gently, for about 20 minutes.
Mix the squash pulp with the lentils, mash with a potato masher, stir in soy milk to desired creamy consistency, and add garlic, ginger, and turmeric, plus the Usual Seasonings: cumin, coriander, dill, oregano and basil. Cook gently a little longer to let the flavors meld. I'm also having stir-fried carrots, broccoli, onion and celery along with it. Also the squash skin, as a side. [For breakfast I had my oatmeal, a little easier on the nuts, due to the oil, so that was my grains for now.]

I used to think all the time about what I was going to eat that someone else was going to cook. Now I think briefly about what there is in the cupboard and fridge, and cook for myself. I have to remember that before, I was spending time and gas money going to these places that were going to treat me, not to mention the extra expense of dining out.

Is there a better way to spend your time?

Best of all: yellow fingers!

1 comment:

Bonita said...

Squash soup is heavenly! So is lettuce soup! And, kale with potatoes and onion...oh, the wonderful smorgasboard of veggies!