Tuesday, July 6, 2010

And the Beet Goes On

I finally got to be one of the nurses going home early tonight; low census continues. I was glad. For one thing, the definition of a Monday [or, in this case with the holiday, a Tuesday] continues to be "one or more sunny days preceded by two days of rain." So it was nice to get out. I bought some groceries and came home, prewashed some fabric I bought yesterday, washed the dishes and made beet soup, this time in the pressure cooker. I've noticed with regular pea soup, that the pressure cooker version is greater. Possibly this is because the soup is cooked more thoroughly and the flavors meld better.

After my post the other day I looked up beets and diuretic on the internet [my favorite engine, Dogpile] and found several sites claiming various benefits from foods such as beets, cabbage, garlic, apple cider vinegar, and so on. While I haven't learned how to check out the research of the info or the credentials of the person posting, so scientifically this is all dubious until proven, I like to think foods have medicinal as well as nutritional value. It's a feel-good thing. Lots of correlation between various sites.

On my days off I did some sewing and inventing to solve some fashion problems I have. [Close your eyes, guys.] Because of my sloping shoulders, regular bras slide off my shoulders, so I wear sports bras. Well and good, but then the straps usually show with most outfits. Since recently I created a nearly perfectly comfortable and simple scrub uniform top pattern which I love, there was a problem because of the fit of the neckline. So then it was necessary to create a bra pattern with straps which neither fall off nor show. And, I can't believe this--I was successful! Yay! Anyway, I'm going crazy buying cotton fabric with all-over designs to sew for uniforms.

Time to test the pressure cooker beet soup.

No comments: