Sunday, October 17, 2010

Purple Potato Salad

I took my daughter to the pumpkin farm Saturday, where we picked up the obligatory pumpkin, but also some giant apples, several jars of honey, and pickled green beans which we remember fondly as my sister in law makes them. Irresistible and addictive. When they sell blueberry, raspberry, and even pumpkin honey, I can't help wondering how they know which blossoms the bees frequented to collect their nectar. Do the farmers hold a little huddle with the bees and only send them to specific plants?

My focus on nutrition is usually on plants, and when I put them together, although I think plants are a wonderful example of organic unity in diversity, as almost any vegetable can get along with any other vegetable in harmony and unity--still, my dishes often have a face that only a mother could love. I had some beets and decided they would be lovely in a salad, and so would potatoes, and it all ended up as a delicious, funny-looking mess.

Purple Potato Salad

3-4 beets, cooked
4-5 red potatoes, cooked
half a yellow onion
three large garlic cloves, or to taste*
one large apple
5 or 6 pickled green beans
one can or [one pound cooked] black or kidney beans
fresh basil
3-4 tablespoons dried dill
a splash of seasoned rice vinegar
vegenaise to taste [vegenaise is the non-egg version of mayonnaise.]

*I tend to treat garlic as a vegetable, slicing it up and throwing the chunks into a soup or salad. Not every tongue is ready for this, however.

Cut up beets, potatoes, onions, apple, stir it all together and refrigerate.

No comments: