Thursday, August 4, 2011

Time to Retire

People with dementia often go back in time and get "stuck" there, due to the deterioration of the temporal lobe. We have someone at "Mountain View" who apparently spent a good deal of his life running a boiler room. He often reports a crisis going on at the plant, and his frustration of needing to get there to put things in order. Sometimes he'll say, "a man got hurt today."

The other evening he was trying to leave the facility by every exit. "They won't let me leave so I can go take care of the plant," he said. "It makes me so mad, I just feel like quitting!" "You know, Stew," I said, "maybe it's time to retire."

2 comments:

Aniela said...

‎Dear one,
You posted this quote- please, would share where it is from? Really enjoying your posts.
Thank you.

"To gather jewels have I come to this world.
If one speck of a jewel lie hid in a stone
and that stone be beyond the Seven Seas,
until I have found and secured that jewel
My hand shall not stay from It's search."
~Bahai Holy Writings

Weaner Pigs said...

Dear Aniela,

I discovered this charming quotation at someone else's house, and the origin really seems obscure. Fortunately I wrote it down when I copied the quote: The Baha'i World, Vol. VIII 1939-1940, p. 934. Quotation found in: Meditations of the Blessed Beauty 1992, Nightingale Books.

Thank you for your encouragement!