Monday, May 13, 2013

The Lady Or the Tiger

Towards the end of April I reached the conclusion that I was about to run out of UI benefits, based on info from the claims page that extensions would not run past April 2013, so I was heading over a cliff. I began to make plans to live in a spare room in Eatonville on my husband's property and thought about selling my furniture. As it turns out, that was not the case. My benefits will be extended.

A couple of weeks ago I had a decent interview with someone at a Tacoma skilled nursing facility and had a pretty good feeling I might get the job. Lots of prayers, 500 "Remover of Difficulties", during the week. I was supposed to hear back on May 3, which came and went with no phone call. Meanwhile, I arranged for another interview at a state facility in Buckley, which felt pretty good. More Remover of Difficulties. At the end of the day I had that interview, I was called in the evening and offered the Tacoma job, which, of course, I accepted.

Oh, dear. Then, last Thursday, I received a call from Buckley: was I still interested, and if so, he would run my background check and phone references and proceed with the hiring procedure. Wednesday I had filled out hiring paperwork and submitted to a drug test, and was invited to a Nurses Week Tea at Tacoma. Friday I attended the Tea, which was wonderful, feeling horrible guilt because I really want to take the State job and it will feel like a betrayal to abandon the Tacoma job when they have been so nice to me--even applauding us newly-hired nurses.

Funny thing about the drug test: in every facility where I have had a drug test, it has been necessary to obtain a urine specimen. So I and another newly-hired nurse arrived prepared to submit a test. Which means that we filled out paperwork for two hours with full bladders, only to discover that they were using a new oral-swab type test.

Today is Monday the 13, and Wednesday I am supposed to attend a general orientation at Tacoma. Friday I had a call from Western State Hospital offering a time, Wednesday, of course, to interview with them. The same thing occurred with my last job; the offer of an interview at WSH the very day I was orienting with the new job.

I am hoping to hear from Buckley very soon. Meanwhile my prayers are that I make a wise choice, not knowing behind which door is the Lady and which door is the Tiger.

No comments: