Thursday, July 25, 2013

Bowling For Deer

Seeing deer on the property has become commonplace, but still enchanting. The other day I bought a brick-sized salt lick, which the deer did not find for several days. Yesterday I watched from the third floor window while the one was actually here, grazing on weeds; I saw a large plum rolling out from below, which the deer found and ate. A peach rolled out, and landed under my car. The deer sniffed around but was unable to find it. Another plum, which she ate. Then our cousin appeared, carried the salt lick out and placed it quite close to where the deer had been grazing. She became curious, sniffed it, and at last took a lick. This was followed by about ten minutes of dedicated licking.

A couple of hours later the twin male & female yearlings came through, grazing; one sniffed at the salt lick, and sort of shrugged and moved on. Maybe she was smart. One lick, and you're hooked.

I turned in my equipment from the cable company this morning; cable doesn't reach here, and we have enough entertainment.

No comments: