Sunday, August 8, 2010

Ammonites, Part 1

A few weeks ago I was thinking about making a new purse. By thinking, I mean that my mind became obsessed with the subject. This is part of the creative process and nothing to be concerned about. At Ethnic Fest I looked at purses of all sizes and shapes [this is what introverts do; sit and study people.] I came to the conclusion that flat purses suspended from the shoulder, also generically called "messengers," are appealing due to the lack of bulk.

My purse, which I love, is very heavy, partly due to the wallet, which is heavy even without the contents. It's also similar to a small suitcase. I'm thinking of making a change. The outline of this purse I was also trying to decide, and the jury is still out. One of the shapes in a book of patterns I recently bought, is a teardrop shape, reminiscent of the supposedly ergonomic purses that came out a few years ago. I've never tried one, so I don't know. Really, a force field designed to follow you with all your objects hovering near would be best. No privacy, though.

I used to go purseless and it was great. Except that I started adding more and more objects to my pockets until I felt like Harpo Marx, or the Tom Baker Dr. Who.

In my sewing room I was rummaging around and for some reason opened the top drawer of my beading desk, and saw an ammonite, made into a pendant. The graceful spiral shape was so appealing, I thought, "Aha!' What a great purse shape . . .

No comments: