Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Cream of Spinach Soup

The other night I found some leftover soup with carrots and potatoes and a soy milk base in the fridge. Although it did not look familiar, I'd been away for a couple of days and thought I'd made it before and forgotten about it, so I heated it up and ate it. It was pretty good. Today Pearl told me that she'd made the soup, and regretted to inform me that there was beef broth in it. I said, oh, well, it won't kill me outright, and anyway, caveat emptor.

Pearl's friend Nick was over and informed me that by watching me, he's become inspired to cook with vegetables a lot more, and described some roasted vegetables he made. I need to get the recipe.

Today I had some oatmeal, exercised, showered, and decided to use up my two bags of spinach, since I haven't had leafy greens for a few days.

Cream of Spinach Soup

Grate up two large cloves of garlic, some turmeric root, and ginger root; chop up a couple slices of onion, and saute them in some extra virgin olive oil [on medium heat because of the olive oil.]
Throw in two bags fresh spinach leaves and a cup of water, cover and come back and stir it in about five minutes, after the spinach softens up. Stir in about a pint of soy milk, and add a healthy shake of nutmeg and another of coriander, simmer to blend flavors.

No comments: