Thursday, July 23, 2009

One Day Off

One day off is not enough.

I had my day sort of planned, had my rolled oats, ground up pecans and raisins soaking in soy milk ready to nuke for oatmeal, and was getting psyched up to exercise, when my husband called from downtown Tacoma, inviting me to lunch at the India Mahal buffet on Pacific and Ninth. I ate the oatmeal anyway, then headed down town, as that was an offer I couldn't refuse. [I never did get around to the exercise.]

My husband lives in Eatonville and I live in Tacoma, where my work and my house are, as I've never gotten around to moving, so we sort of see each other on dates.

We were sitting enjoying the vegetarian buffet food, talking about many things, and wound up on the subject of "All You Can Eat." I remembered a fictional cop show episode where a man was rolling on a stool up and down in front of an all-you-can-eat salad bar with a fork, rapidly eating directly from the bar, shoveling in astonishing amounts of food. I think this was before sneeze guards. The restaurant called the cops, and was told, "hey, it's all you can eat."

Enayat remembered a Hari Krishna buffet restaurant that said, "All You Care to Eat." That makes much more sense, putting your brain in between your mouth and your stomach. This American "eat all you can eat" thing can go too far. We started laughing about how the restaurants ought to make you pay up front in case, in the course of overeating, you expire!

Later I went to McLendon's Hardware for items to assemble a bricks-and-boards bookshelf. The pressed-board shelves were expensive, and there were no bricks per se. [I was thinking of these tall terra-cotta deals.] I ended up buying pairs of large flowerpots and about a 12-foot naturally purple board which I had them cut up; at home I stacked up the shelves by placing pots upside down in pairs and placing the boards on top. Weird but decorative. [I just didn't want to worry about assembling or transporting a conventional bookcase.]

Spent some time at the Thursday devotional meeting talking about [among many other things] fractals and spirals inherent in nature. That is, to me, mathematics and therefore the expression of mathematics in equations, [i.e. the equations giving rise to fractals and the Fibonacci Number System graphed as a spiral] as well as the physical form which those mathematical equations represent, and physical flora and fauna reflecting those shapes, are all a part of the natural world. I found that the new participant, Lee, and myself, were equally passionate and fascinated with this subject.

"How resplendent the luminaries of knowledge that shine in an atom, and how vast the oceans of wisdom that surge within a drop." ~~ Baha'u'llah

One day off is not enough.

No comments: