Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Friends and Food

About 20 years ago we became friends with another couple from our birthing class. The husband was a vegetarian, and they used to have us over for dinner and cook wonderful vegetarian food. One evening I had them over for a Greek-type dinner with lentil soup, hummus and Greek pita bread, and so forth. When we sat down the husband asked me if I used beef broth in the soup, which I had to admit I had. I was so chagrined, though he was very kind about it. To cook like a vegetarian, it's necessary to, at least temporarily, to think like one.

Tonight I was speaking with two sisters at Feast, who seem to take medications for a variety of ailments. I informed them [kindly] that it would possibly ease some of their symptoms to avoid animal-sourced foods such as meat and dairy products. I referred them to The China Study by T. Colin Campbell. They said the very thing I said the night before I gave up animal sourced foods: "Oh, I'm too emotionally attached to meat! I could never give it up!" I said, if I could give up animal sourced foods, anyone can.

About ten years ago my former husband stopped eating my chili when he read the label on the package of chorizo. Today I looked at it in the store to refresh my memory. Chorizo contains:
pork salivary glands, lymph nodes, fat, cheeks, tongues, vinegar, pork, salt, spices and sodium nitrite. The beef is the same, only with beef.

I'll have to look up Soyrizo for comparison next time I see it.

No comments: