Sunday, September 27, 2009

Festival of Rats In Tupperware

Pearl is adopting a young rat on Monday, a hairless male.

I took Pearl yesterday to the Rat Show in at Scopes Auction off Mullinex Road in Port Orchard. For an aspiring new rat adopter, it was a great place to learn, and the perfect day for Pearl. It was fascinating. They had a little track and tiny trainers ran around the track next to each rat while the MC listed the particular fine points of the animal . . . no, wait, that's with dogs.

Actually, it was pretty low key. A dollar admission honor system, a couple of tables for judging set up in front of the bleachers. In front of the judges the rats for each category [solid or marked, satin, shaded, dwarf, etc, as well as two hairless] sat in individual clear plastic boxes with colored lids, like giant Tupperware containers, for viewing. Judges took out each rat in turn, handling them, assessing body and head shape, ear and tail formation, color, markings and temperament.

Several ratteries had tables with displays and cages for their pets. Yes, ratteries. There are rat fanciers and fancy ratteries. I was surprised to see similar facial features: wide, deep-set eyes, recessive chins, long, pointy noses. Unconsciously I was applying the idea that pet owners tend to resemble their pets.

Pearl came back from a shopping spree with some toys and articles, including one of those hollow balls for rats to run around in safely while you clean the cage.
I said, "You already have a ball."
"I actually was offered a second rat, the brother to the original rat."
"When were you planning to tell me this?"
"I was working up the courage."

Then I just had to mention this: "At least you'll have a spare rat when the cats eat one . . . come on--three cats and one rat--who do you think will win?" At this I happened to glance over and see a stare of pure, appalled hatred on the face of one of the judges who had overheard. I just kept smiling. I already know my humor is pretty cold.

We learned lots about proper rat diet and how to handle the rats to socialize them right away. I saw more rats in one day, being petted and snuggled, sitting on shoulders, poking very cute little noses out of sweater sleeves, than I have in a lifetime. I guess having a rat in the house is not the end of the world. I almost want one. And, hey--no annoying barking, howling, or meowing.

Anyway, Pearl had a great time.

3 comments:

Bonita said...

This was so funny! You'll have to let us know if there is 'scratching' in the middle of the night.

I had a hampster years ago. He got out of his cage and found me...upstairs, in bed. All of a sudden I felt his whiskers on my bare toes. I about died with fright until I saw it was him.

Anonymous said...

You should both be sure to go to Ratapalooza.

http://www.worldofrats.com/RatapaloozaIndex.html

Weaner Pigs said...

1] Lucky he [hamster] lived!

2] Thanks, will check it out.