Thursday, September 9, 2010

Journey to Chicago, Part 2

At O'Hare airport we had no difficulty finding our way to baggage claim and finding the bag he checked. Then we followed the signs for car rentals, expecting a department within the actual terminal. This is how it works at SeaTac and at the Milwaukee airport when I went to the Kingdom Conference. But we found ourselves out on the curb, with a few signs but no rental offices. There were a few shuttles but none for Advantage. I tried asking the uniformed attendants at the curb and received a variety of conflicting information.

We were hauling a backpack, a small tote bag [me], a small suitcase, a large tote bag, and a santur [him.] We ended up hiking down to the end of the terminal and crossing the street, where I phoned the national office for Advantage [I had failed to secure the address and local phone number for the office at O'Hare.] Perpendicular to the terminal was a very long building and curbside which was the Hilton Courtyard, with shuttles coming and going. With husband and baggage I hiked the length of the building, hoping to speak to an actual human at a counter. This was a lady at a counter for buses. She directed us back to where we started at Door Number One.

Back and forth we hiked, between Door Number One and the curbside sign for Car Rentals 60 feet away, asking shuttle drivers and being directed to either location. At last we found a shuttle for Advantage, which we boarded, and discovered that the actual rental office was four miles off site.

I had Mapquested directions from O'Hare to the Days Inn in Elk Grove, but those directions, not only were confusing, but were going to be invalid from this other location. I got some wonderfully direct instructions from the shuttle driver: turn right out of the rental office, turn right on Touhy, which becomes Higgins, and follow about five miles, and Days Inn will be on the right.

Meanwhile we waited over an hour at the car rental office behind three other parties, one of which was very angry because he apparently had discovered that it would cost him significantly more to have more than one driver on the rental agreement. He kept saying, "I'm screwed!" There was only one clerk at the desk. At last I had the keys to the Nissan Sentra, and learned to use the automatic door lock; later I realized that the electric control for moving the side mirrors was discombobulated and we had to lower the windows to set them manually [they were probably broken by someone doing this initially.]

Down Higgins I drove until I came to a Days Inn and attempted to check in at the desk. Despite making a registration weeks before, they never heard of me. It was now nine thirty at night. We checked in anyway. At this point I realized it might have been better to just arrange for a shuttle from the motel and have a rental car delivered to the motel later.

It was a king, not a queen bed, and though my reservation was for a nonsmoking room, reeked of smoke. I was puzzled. I called the desk: "What is our address here?" "1920 Higgins." I compared this to my address on Mapquest: 1000 West Devon. Wrong Days Inn. I called the W. Devon Days Inn and explained where I was and arranged to check in there in the morning. We ordered a vegetarian pizza and watched actual tapes of the Frost-Nixon interviews on PBS.

No comments: