Friday, September 10, 2010

Journey to Chicago, Part 6

On Saturday I decided to sign up for the bus running from the Renaissance to the House of Worship in Wilmette. It cost $20, and Enayat could not understand why I wished to pay that much for a bus when I could just drive. The truth is, I quickly became sick of driving. I don't have the endurance of a robot.

The bus was simply a blast. For once I was alone with the driver and 40 Persians. I'm sure this was a trip the driver will never forget. As soon as we were underway, people were asking for the microphone. Since it was attached with a cord, several individuals took turns making their way to the jump seat at the front of the bus, laboriously strapping themselves in, and sharing the most beautiful, gloriously chanted prayers and songs. I was glad I had my one memorized Persian prayer when they passed the mike to me [a good-looking gentleman in his seventies had invited me to sit next to him in the front seat.] My one trick pony of a prayer. They seemed to like it.

Cost for a bus trip to Wilmette: $20.00. Cost for the Prayermobile: priceless.

For lunch outside the grounds of the Temple I ate two slices of whole-wheat bread, some cashews, and some water. My sojourn inside the Temple was this time somewhat interrupted by my new friend wishing to take photos with me. I forgave him easily.

That evening we visited Enayat's aunt, his father's younger sister, her daughters, and multiple other cousins, feasting on dilled rice with lima beans [bogoli poullou], sabsi-whatever [stew with greens], salad, yogurt with cucumbers, and that wonderful stew made with pomegranate paste. I promised one of the American inlaws to send my recipe for Stealth Soup, made with butternut squash and red lentils.

No comments: