Monday, March 26, 2012

Fun in the Family

Yesterday I had plans to visit one of my friends and his family, bring ingredients for a vegan dinner [I haven't been able to stay consistent with a plant-based diet, but I practice it most of the time], cook and watch the film "Forks Over Knives" and discuss it. Those plans never materialized; however, I had a great time yesterday anyway.

My daughter and her boyfriend showed up yesterday to collect some waste wood from behind the townhouses, and stayed for the day. Since my daughter has a cold, we didn't go on expeditions. We discovered a muskrat in the drainage ditch, watched the movie, made Kitchen Sink Cookies, made some wonderful Daal Soup, and played a virgin game of Lord of the Rings. [Virgin, i.e. never before out of the box.] We got through 2 and 1/2 scenarios out of four before Sauron got us. Which is not bad for deciphering some very complex rules as we played.

The great thing about this LOTR game was the built-in absence of competition among the players. We played against the game, against chance, not against each other. Next time we'll understand even better how to collaborate together to play our strengths and overcome our weaknesses.

Must go. More daal soup is cooking.

No comments: