Saturday, March 31, 2012

Turtles With External Ears

A good day off. Stayed up late after work, still got up in time to go to a Baha'i Cluster 19 Reflection Meeting at Clover Park, which was all kinds of fun, then ate lunch somewhere en route and stopped by my friend Loyd's to pick up a Gem Faire weekend pass he had for me. Then I went to the Gem Faire at the Tacoma Dome Exhibition Hall.

If you've never been to the Gem Faire, it's a feast of color for the eyes, featuring strings of beads of stone or pearls or filigree metal, fossils, amber, sparkly gems, beads in the shapes of animals, and a multitude of trinkets. It can be quite a sensory overload. It stimulates my creativity, even more than a trip to the fabric store. In the last few years, with the depression, crowds have thinned, there are fewer vendors, and prices have dropped. Almost everything is 20% to 50% off.

I decided to buy a small gift for myself and looked at several rings the right size for my pinkie [the one that doesn't already have a Baha'i ring on it] and couldn't decide between silver rings with black onyx, green onyx, lapis lazuli, or a deep purple amethyst. Amethyst is my birthstone but usually it's a washed out purple that I don't care for. Deep purple is unusual.

I had the proprietor hold aside several rings while I circulated and percolated some more, and let my conscious and subconscious mind think about the choices. I became disoriented as to which shop I had been at before. Finally relocated "my" folks and selected a ring with a coral stone. The orangey-red or reddish orange [depending on the light] is the right color to cheer me up.

I also found some gorgeous jasper for a new set of prayer beads, to coordinate with smaller carnelian beads for in-between. It's easier to touch an individual bead if there is a space in between the major beads. I also found a large hunk of rock with a polished giant ammonite to set on a bookshelf. Can't get enough of ammonites: the wonderful spiral, the ancient creature a proof that religious truth is relative, exhibiting the principle of the harmony of science and religion.

Came out of the Exhibition Hall into a blinding state of affairs--actual sunlight. So I took a walk around DeCoursey Park in the sunshine. I decided to use the green glass pendant with the Greatest Name, which Enayat gave me on my birthday on Pilgrimage in Haifa, as a centerpiece for the prayer beads. It is a wonderful memento of Pilgrimage.

So now I have a beading project to do, on top of the things I already needed to do: shop for groceries, pay bills online, etc etc etc. Plus finish the scrapbook from Pilgrimage which I started with Pearl on the dining room table, and which is not a one-day project, and is now taking up the dining table.

Oh, yes. Turtles with ears? They have some carved from jade or bone or whatever at the Gem Faire.

No comments: