Monday, April 5, 2010

Pea Soup: A New Take

Pea Soup With Soy Chorizo

In Trader Joe's the other day, picking up some whole wheat lavash bread, I found soy chorizo. I decided to make pea soup with it in the pressure cooker.

one yellow onion, cut up: saute on medium low in pressure cooker in 2 T olive oil until carmelized.

Meanwhile, cut up: one garnet yam, several peeled garlic cloves, two small tomatoes. When onions are carmelized, squeeze out soy chorizo into pot to saute; add rosemary, dill, basil, oregano, cumin. Add diced yam and garlic and tomato.

Add two cups dried peas and about 6 + cups water [I still had to thin the soup later as I don't like the thickness of traditional pea soup. So next time I would add even more water.]
Pressure cook on high for ten minutes and allow pressure to release naturally. Stir in 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke. The chorizo is a little smoky, salty, and fairly spicy.

I ate this with multigrain bake it yourself baguette.

No comments: