Thursday, November 18, 2010

Gratitude

Update: [I hate to keep using "update" as a blog title, so I thought I'd put in something more uplifting.]

The top thing I've been learning since losing my job is how caring and supportive everyone in my family and circle of acquaintances is. I really should join the Human Race one of these days. ; >

Today I had to think about what you put for "Accomplishments" on a resume if you're a nurse. I clock in, get to work, work really hard, hurry to do my charting, and clock out. Resume: "Accomplishments: Most of my patients were still alive by the end of the day." Well, it made me laugh.

I've been spending a lot of time at WorkSource, which used to be named the Employment Security Office and nicknamed by some the "Unemployment Office." I've learned that there are a number of agencies all associated with the name "WorkSource"; that so far every staff member there has been friendly, caring, knowledgeable and just stellar. I've learned some rudiments of Word and PC's, and today learned more about cover letters and resumes and spent time beginning a revamped resume using a program on their PC's.

I realized it's a good idea to use a professional email for this type of thing such as a job search. Especially because much of my job search has been online and posting my resume has resulted in a virtual spam of things such as cosmetics at Macy's [I don't even use make up], mystery shopper, nursing jobs in Tennessee [no offense, but I don't live there.]

I made a friend named Timothy at WorkSource, just by being compassionate and friendly. Not that we exchanged info or anything, but it felt nice to be helpful.

I came home already in a good mood from learning and useful activity, turned on my cell phone to find a message from actually the first job I applied to, which was listed in the newspaper. So I'm elated just to hear from someone and will phone them in the morning. We'll see what happens.

No comments: