Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Root, Part 3

This is the way I became blind when I was earning so much income. I have little to show for it now. I became attached to my income, attached to my house, and eventually confused and unable to discern what is necessary to live on, as opposed to what is merely delightful, pleasant, or even comfortable. Aware that middle-class Americans live like royalty in comparison with many inside and outside the USA, I felt guilty.

I was striving to express emotional independence by my financial independence, and ended up with an attitude somewhat lacking in humility. Money was not an object. If I wanted something, I bought it. Yet I was confused how to apply that Baha'i law, the Right of God.

This is the beauty of living in a world replete with adversity. I became so stressed in my work that I lost my job, lost my income. I was seized with mortal terror. [I have to confess I still have that, when I pay attention.] I have responsibilities. It was necessary to contact the companies I pay for services and humbly inform them why I could not meet my obligations.

Baha'u'llah informs us that while we see calamity as fire and vengeance, inwardly it is light and mercy. This is the beauty of adversity. Although it can be painful and terrifying [and often unjust] it presents a golden opportunity for growth and learning.

Although I am a long way from a complete understanding of the law of the Right of God, in this situation where it has become monumentally significant how I use every cent, the difference between what I want and what I actually need has gained enormous clarity.

No comments: