Sunday, November 21, 2010

The Root, Part 1

During my last two jobs I earned almost more money than I could spend, at least at first. I became blind. If I wanted a book or CD or a doodad, I bought it. By the end I was eating meals out daily, sometimes more. And I was completely attached to a house that I did not own and may never own.

When I started my last job I felt I was making an agreement to work there by choice. I wasn't forced to do anything. This was necessary, due to a habitual emotional stance as a victim of life.
By the end I was so stressed out I had forgotten about choice, the economy had changed, and I felt trapped.

Earning so much, I did not focus enough on using it wisely. I was totally engrossed in making it through each day, due to the demands of the career. I lost sight of one important spiritual fact: although on this plane we are producing income by our own efforts, on the spiritual plane our income comes from God and belongs to God, that Unknowable Essence.

Think about this: although many people believe we got here by emerging spontaneously from nonbeing into being, like a mushroom, Baha'u'llah teaches that we were created. Spiritual beings housed for now in physical bodies on a material plane. Our purpose in being here is not merely to survive--we fail in that, ultimately. Nor is it to entertain ourselves.

Our purpose has something to do with growing and unfolding and opening up our true nature and developing the capacities latent within us, according to our capacity.

No comments: