Friday, January 14, 2011

Naught But the Rose of Love

The other day I was driving past the apartments I was thinking of moving into if any open up, on the way home from work, and as I came up to 7th St NE where I usually turn, I spotted a For Rent sign across the way. No time, must upgrade the tires on my car before the snow storm. Next night, no time, must drive to Fife to pick up daughter's birth certificate for health insurance. Thursday night I stopped by and saw what looked like a pretty nice house and picked up a flyer. It was a set of townhouses. About five minutes from my work. I was jazzed.

Price; 1.5 as much for 1400 square feet as for about 600 square feet. House-like two story home. No landscaping worries. 3 bedroom, 2.5 bathrooms, compared to the apartments with 2 bedrooms/one bathroom. A plum. Not knocking around with several dozen other families and mediocre maintenance: priceless. Price; approximately half what I pay in mortgage for a four bedroom two bathroom home. Granted, my house has beautiful mahogany flooring and a nicely tiled tub enclosure and Penguin Windows . . . and a gorgeous Mount Rainier view.

I was jazzed. Called the number and left a voice mail, then connected to see the place after work. Absolutely pristine. Bright kitchen, gas heat, year-old carpeting [looks better than mine after cats.] No pets. Bye bye matching black and white tuxedo brother and sister. It hurts my heart, yes, but maybe they can hook up with someone who has more time for them.

After seeing the house we talked about a lot of things. I mentioned the beautiful old-fashioned roses I left behind at my last two houses, which I could not successfully restart here. Turns out the landlord and his wife have either a hobby or an obsession with growing roses and show them all over the area. So that was fun to talk about. He hooked me up with the name of an affordable local mover and a real estate agent who might be as familiar with my real-estate options regarding this place as my expensive [but very nice] lawyer would be.

Especially in light of the prospect of opening up Puyallup more to the Baha'i Faith; in light of the discussion last night at the Devotional Meeting about starting more devotionals in people's homes, I'm saying, "yes!"

In the garden of thine heart, plant naught but the rose of love.

~Baha'u'llah

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That sounds like a great find!

Weaner Pigs said...

Yes, excellent timing. It kind of hurries up my plans, which is probably a good thing. I feel like snatching it up.

Darn, I wish I could keep Gregory, my favorite of two cats. In an apartment I could but he would cost me at least $500.00.