Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Don't Pinch Me

I grew up knowing March 17th as the day adults sanctioned children to pinch each other. The rule was that you must wear green on Saint Patrick's Day or people were entitled to pinch you. I didn't even know who St. Patrick was or that it involved Ireland. I just knew the tiny piece of terror about not getting pinched.

One time when I was eleven I wore all orange and pinned on a green shamrock. I remember children speculating if they could remove the shamrock so I could get pinched.

Okay, people don't usually die from being pinched. What's the big deal? What kind of a wuss was I to worry about it?

One who had grown up with a significant level of emotional and physical abuse. Who had no defense against violating my boundaries.

I don't know if this culture is still going on in schools, but I say it's time to stop it if it is. Anyway, enjoy being Irish if you are and being pseudo-Irish if you are playing that way, enjoy your green beer, and all.

A parting shot: I really, really hate leprichauns.

No comments: