Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Tree Beyond Which There Is No Passing

While my life is busy falling apart at the seams and everywhere else, I remembered something I learned the other day about people whose cars go off the road. There is something about the human brain that caused people to focus on any object, and to steer in the direction of that object. That's why, when the car goes off the road and all there is out there is a field and a tree or a telephone pole, nine times out of ten the car hits the tree.

So all the time I feel threatened with losing my house or my job or anything else, I need to focus on a different tree.

Baha'u'llah is [among hundreds of other titles] the Sadrat'ul-Muntaha*, the "Tree Beyond Which There Is No Passing." That's the tree I need to focus on.

In a conversation the other day I was whining that "I don't know what God wants me to do!" At that particular time I listened to my inner voice, which said, "Let go!" Let go, and focus on the correct tree.

*I'm typing this title from memory, so I hope the spelling is correct.

3 comments:

Bonita said...

If I could pass that tree, I'd choose to find myself camped in the meadow. You know the one. There is a gorgeous old barn there. Just about the most beautiful retreat anyone could hope for.

Weaner Pigs said...

The field is pretty boggy for camping except in the summer. There are no poles, only occasional Russians.

Anonymous said...

It's called target fixation.