Saturday, May 2, 2009

Good Neighbors

Since Pearl's husband left we haven't cut a blade of grass. About a week ago Pearl asked for help starting the gas mower and we both were stumped. Which handle do you squeeze at the top while you are pulling the rope? And so on. She was able to cut a narrow swathe of grass with the human-powered mower, stopping for a rest and a drink of water every twenty minutes, and cut about 2% of the lawn in a morning. I haven't had time, period.

I have a neighbor that seems to derive the greatest satisfaction in grooming his yard to the smallest gnat's whisker during the spring and summer, out there with his riding mower every dry day. So I was thinking about whether it was possible to leave a note on the fence and ask how much money he would like for mowing my yard. I thought about asking our very friendly other neighbor, that originally owned the property. But haven't found the time.

This morning before work I took Pearl for another practice drive. Before we left, the friendlier neighbor asked how we were, then asked if he could mow the lawn. I said, "How much can I pay you to do it?" He declined payment. When we got back two hours later they were both out there with a weedeater and rider mower, looking as if they were having the time of their lives. I bet they were watching that lawn grow to a foot high, thinking, "Just let me get at that!"

Maybe we can make May baskets for them.

In the small town where I grew up, my mom had a short list of neighbors who were receptive to trick-or-treating on Halloween. On May Day, we made baskets with treats and flowers for the same people we visited on Halloween; knocked on the door and ran and hid. Watched them look around with irritation, then look down and see the baskets and smile, call out, "Thank you!" It ws every bit as much fun as trick-or-treating.

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I know they were thrilled to mow your lawn! Now they can enjoy it and feel good that they helped you out.