Saturday, May 23, 2009

The Mankind is One Seattle Folklife Festival, Part One

This is the best time I've had going to the Folklife Festival [Friday May 22] and I think it's the first time I've gone alone. I've been going since probably 1980 with my former husband, who followed certain inflexible rules about it. After driving to the Seattle Center area he drove around and around until he found a free parking spot within three miles, then he walked with great speed to the Festival. Once at the festival he walked with great speed through the crowds with me trailing behind touching his shirt. Rarely did he look back to see if I was there.

My rule was simple: find a place to sit and listen to music [and later, mind the baby], and eat.

We had to stay within sight of each other at all costs because it was before cell phones. And still I looked forward to it every year, and had fun.

I ended up parking up on Queen Anne Hill in front of someone's house this year, saving $12 for parking in the viscinity. I cruised slowly through the fair, taking time to have conversations with the venders, paying attention to people, watching what was going on.

No comments: