Monday, October 5, 2009

Days Off

Our first two twelve hour overlapping charge nurse shifts went pretty well at Homeland. Busy, if you read the stories. I stopped by tonight after three days off to get organized for the next three shifts, and one of the new nurses on this side said, "I don't know how you did it all with just one nurse!" I said, we were really jumping.

My first day off I chilled out, bought groceries and did errands, then went to Eatonville late in the day. Early Sunday we went to Baha'i Convention at Clover Park College, Lakewood, at the uncharitable hour of 8:30 AM--kind of rough for people living 45 minutes away. I left my lights on, had to jump-start the car when we left at about noon, then we picked up food at Greek To Me restaurant and went to Wright Park, sitting in the sun at a picnic table.

Enayat always has felafel; I had a "veggie gyro." We shared side orders of their roasted potatoes and their green beans. I wish I had the recipes; the potatoes are soft and flavorful and tender, and the green beans meltingly soft. Enayat fed the seagulls and crows. I said he was encouraging mendicancy.

We drove out to Eatonville in time to spend sunset at my new favorite place: the balcony at the huge barn he refurbished by his farmhouse, surrounded by trees and pastures. There is such a feeling of peace there. Always, in clear weather, a slow and beautiful sunset. Grazing horses, prowling cats, passing small planes, distant gun practice at a gun club, but no traffic noise. If you stay late enough there are bats. A new "happy place" ; >. When we went out to the other barn where we have an apartment, we drove out to Ohop lake which borders the land. Elks were in the field. I called out, "Elks!!" very excited and he thought there was an emergency.

Today I had a quiet day at Eatonville, washing up from the delicious pasta dish I made last night. I had some [unfortunately white] garlic sourdough I used for garlic toast; some whole wheat penne pasta; a jar of Prego with mushrooms; and vegetables--leeks, mushrooms, a small yellow summer squash, garlic, and a bag of spinach. [Yes, in my book, garlic is a vegetable.] Yum! Very filling.

For once I requested a Persian movie, one about a shah being shot in the mosque, as Nasirih-Din Shah was, although they didn't use his name. Which they also made him a nice guy.

Owners of pit bulls, et al, always say "he won't hurt you. He's nice." What they don't realize is that, yes, the dog is nice to them. But not to other people. Kind of like Nasirih-Din Shah.

2 comments:

Nadine said...

Nice post :-)

I will jump on your last words on the Shah. What many people seem to forget is, that Nasirih-Din Shah was an ok-kinda guy until the influence of his prime ministers Amir Kabir and Mirza Aqa Khan Nuri. The Shah himself in early years, was but a weak figure teribly influenced by those around him. It was not until the attack of two Babís in 1852 that he actually turned into a selfrunning idiot, who suddently thought to have understood that Amir Kabir had always been right about the Babís. As much as I dislike him myself, we must be true to history. I dunno if to be considered a weak and Freudian problem serves him anymore than the simply cruel image, but that is not for me to worry :-D

Weaner Pigs said...

Agreed.