Saturday, October 3, 2009

Stories From Homeland, Part 1

With the new 12 hour charge nurse schedule, there is no more reporting in person to the night nurse, so the powers that be brought in a new Radio Shack tape recorder with voice activation, for recording report. The first night I couldn't make it work, and left my written notes. Last night I made it work, sort of.

I guess my voice is quiet for voice activation, so I had to hold the machine under my nose and practically shout. With even a nanosecond lull, the machine would stop recording [one can see the wheel turning when it's recording, much like a nurse deep in thought.] With all these technical challenges, my report came out kind of rough.

"Hello, this is Arlene reporting for the evening shift on, hello, are you working? October second. In room 201, Mr. Feebel has a Foley, what the hell, are you on? catheter which was leaking. We changed the catheter and, oh, bloody hell, now what? it has been patent. In Room 202, Mrs., hello, okey dokey then, Rheinland is on Keflex for pneumonia . . . "

No comments: