Friday, November 6, 2009

A Pearl By Any Other Name

"O Brother! Not every sea hath pearls. Not every branch will flower, nor will the nightingale sing thereon."

~ Baha'u'llah

I just finished three days disappeared from the world, three twelve hour shifts at work. Even if I go to sleep at midnight, I wake up-bing!- at six most mornings. Many things about the team-building at work are rewarding. Most are stressful. I came home last night from 13 hours of work, tired and stressed, to hear my daughter's outgoing message as I called to check up on her. "Hi, this is Jake--or as some of you call me, Pearl."

In that stressed and alienated frame of mind, I thought it was all about Me, Al Franken, and some kind of rejection of her given name and me. It turns out it's short for Jakob, as in Jakob Grimm.

Huh.

I guess I can adjust. Most of my friends, even me, change their names from time to time.

No comments: