Friday, November 20, 2009

Trip to Pullman, Part 1

Last Friday I worked 12 hours and didn't have time to thoroughly plan our trip to Pullman and Mom's 90th birthday [and Enayat's 25th ; > ] So Saturday morning I planned to take the train over, and our plans changed as time went on and we talked about possibilities and discovered whether Enayat could be ready in time to meet us, as he really did want to come.

My sister Margaret offered to give us a ride from Pullman to Seattle on Monday, which opened up everything. So we all [Pearl, Enayat and I] drove up to Seattle to the King Street Station and took the Amtrak to Spokane, having a wonderful ride, and ending up in the Days Inn overnight. My plan then was to find a rental car to travel down to Pullman via Elberton, the tiny ghost town where my brother and his wife live.

Finding a rental car available for a one-way trip to Pullman from downtown Spokane on a Sunday--ah, there's the rub. After a lot of calling around it boiled down to either waiting until 5:45 PM and taking the bus down to Pullman, missing a lot of visiting, and still not having a car when we arrived, which was affordable. Or, spending $233 for a rental car from the Spokane Airport [plus taxi fare] for a car overnight to Pullman. $233, I kid you not. Train fare for one person from Seattle was only $46. Good grief!

I fell into despair. My lack of planning. We were lost. Pearl was rubbing my back and telling me everything would be okay; sang me "What A Wonderful World," and I made a decision. We were there to visit. I would bite the bullet and hire the rental car, which I did. I called a cab, and was brushing my teeth, and the cab was pulling into the parking lot, when my sister Margaret called from Othello, wondering how we were getting from Spokane to Pullman, and she could come to pick us up in Spokane.

A miracle.

No comments: