Sunday, November 1, 2009

Girls' Night Out

We had a good day today, Pearl and I. We picked up her car from being repaired within an inch of its life, just short of totaled from her hitting a pole on one of her first expeditions after getting her license. Her car wouldn't start. There wasn't a drop of gas in it. If she hadn't hit a pole she would have run out of gas. We had to buy a container, fill it and learn how to fill the tank with the complicated spout.

Tonight we went to Benaroya Hall for the Seattle Symphony showing of "Psycho." I went to Value Village, hoping to find one of those animal noses, but what I did find was a pair of leather mules with a spotted animal print, which I took home and used the tops to make a pair of cat-like ears. These I sewed onto a scarf which I tied behind my head [I left my latest felt hat at Supercuts or I would have used that.] Then we used long-lasting reddish brown lip color to make a nose and black lipstick to draw whiskers, art by Pearl. A fun and minimalist costume.

She used green, then white makeup for a zombie effect; then added a bar code and the number 5, a fake bruise, red around her lips, and a realistic patch of green circuitry revealed by a bite. [The girl is good.] Then she dressed in white shirt, black vest and pants, a black bowler, carried a black umbrella, and went as a zombie android sort of deal. Very cute.

We met my sister at a great Vegan Thai restaurant called Araya on 45th Street in Seattle's University District. Imagine: an entire menu available to plant-based diners! And all delicious.

Psycho at Benaroya Hall, with the Seattle Symphony playing the score, was a hoot. About a third of the audience was in costume. A lot of men were dressed as women; not just dressed as any woman, but dressed as a woman in costume. So late in the 1960 film when the psychologist is giving his psychobabble speech and mentions transvestites, there was a roar of laughter from the audience.

Two cute coincidences: the opening date on the screen is December 11th, my daughter's birthday. And Marian Crane buys a 1957 Ford [my birth year.]

No comments: