Friday, February 12, 2010

The Culinary Life of Books

I don't always eat when I read, but I usually read when I eat. I also read a lot of library books. So it's no surprise when other eater/readers have been there before me. Sometimes you can tell what the food was, from the leavings, sometimes you can't. It calls for speculation. Cheetoh's are always obvious. Jam and bread, macaroni and cheese, chocolate . . . I find their history fascinating.

I try to be a little neater when I read, and not leave any history behind.

Today I had just made some soup in the pressure cooker when my lawyer called. Later after I returned home, I blended it. When ingredients have a lot of peels and lumpy texture, I prefer to blend the soup.

Valentine Soup

4-5 beet roots, cleaned and quartered
4-5 red potatoes, eyed and quartered
2 large carrots, chopped into sections
chopped onion, about a slice
5-6 garlic cloves, peeled
several shakes of: dill, turmeric, cumin, coriander, a little rosemary and a little cardamom

Place all into pressure cooker with two cups water and cook on high twenty minutes. Let the pressure release naturally by cooling down. Add:

one cup leftover baked squash
one or two cups soy milk
sea salt to taste

Blend in food processor until smooth.


Why can't I ever remember the name of cardamom?

No comments: