Friday, February 12, 2010

More Learnings

So my deadline for signing my refinancing loan was today, and I may have missed it. We'll see. I was moping about, had just made some soup in the pressure cooker with potatoes, leeks, beets and carrots when the lawyer's office phoned and said my former son-in-law signed the quit-claim deed. So I met with my wonderful lawyer and signed some forms acknowledging all that, and she emailed and Fed-Exed it to the escrow in Florida, and if they send the forms I can go sign Monday if possible, or Tuesday, taking off from work a couple hours.

Coming through these tests [and when haven't I been in tests in the last five years?] gives a person a fresh perspective. It's a new opportunity for detachment. I realized with joy that I am glad I made the house improvements that I did, even if it goes to someone else tomorrow. The Writings point out that no ownership is permanent, even our bodies, and that tomorrow someone else will own what we have [except, fortunately, our bodies. There has to be some limit to avarice.] If someone else owns this house tomorrow, which, figuratively they will, I will have made it more beautiful.

Really, it was a chance to re-consecrate my house, my livelihood, to God.

So I was thinking as I watched the gulls circle the streets of downtown Tacoma from the thirteenth floor.

1 comment:

Bonita said...

"tomorrow someone else will own what we have"...my test is that others damage or miss-use what I have. That, to me, is harder than loosing something - you have to live with it all broken and damaged. No point in repairing it - they'll break it again. I'd rather have nothing than have something that is treated carelessly.

I'm glad you found ways to move through all of this.