Monday, May 14, 2012

Like a Bird On a Wire

I haven't connected again with the Health Services Director for Classy Skilled Nursing Facility. I may attempt tomorrow. Tomorrow I also plan to attend a seminar at WorkSource on older applicants.Walking the fine line between letting them know I'm still interested, and stalking. To me, stalking means I send a Holiday card more than once in five years.

Since early in the morning, I had an extreme degree of anxiety. My tasks were to apply for at least four jobs this week. I meant to do as many as possible today. I was able to complete an application and cover letter and send out with resume, to one facility. I also wrote a letter to a dear MD that used to work in the facility I just left. Last year I had asked if she could ever give a reference to me: today I wrote to let her know I'm listing her. My anxiety is debilitating.

I mailed the application etc, plus the letter to the MD and something else, at the Post Office. Then I came to DeCoursey Park and sat with my prayer book, praying and watching ducks and ducklings for an hour or two. Eventually I did start to recover from the anxiety, between the prayers, the sunshine and ducks, and the people passing who were friendly.

I called my landlord to inform him I am out of work. I had been dreading it, even though he is a very nice guy. I just hate having to negotiate when I can't meet my obligations. He wants 50% of rent. Could be a big problem, as I still have no income as I await a decision on my application for unemployment benefits. Tonight I also applied for food stamps and anything else I can qualify for, and contacted one of my references, who works at night. I was afraid to wake her up, but able to leave a voice mail.

I made daal soup for dinner, plus an ear of corn and some spinach, and watched a PBS show on how crows are so intelligent. They showed a study they did in Seattle on facial recognition in crows and how they can pass it on to other crows and even their offspring; the battle in Japan to keep crows from using wire coat hangars as a nesting material which can short out electrical wires and cause outages; using raptors in Canada to dispel a very large gathering of crows in their community.

I like crows, and the way they play, for example in a windstorm.

3 comments:

Weaner Pigs said...

I keep thinking about how crows communicate facial recognition to each other. I certainly couldn't do it, and I have the power of speech. Do they have Crow language for, "see that guy in the Caveman mask? He abducted us!"

Anonymous said...

You might like a wonderful book called Crow Planet.

Weaner Pigs said...

I might!