Friday, May 4, 2012

My First Week of Unemployment

Hello,
It's been a busy week. I got certain things done on Friday the 27th. On the 28th I went to Feast in the evening in Pierce County. On Sunday the 29th I went for a walk with friends at Clark Creek Park, where I struggled to keep up, as exercising has taken last place on my schedule while I was working full time, but it was a pleasant journey. We stopped to say prayers in the woods, with sun peeping through the trees, and the sounds of the creek and the birdsong.  In the evening I went to a Holy Day potluck in Northeast Tacoma which was wonderful. I was excited as I found a new route from Puyallup through Fife to NE Tacoma which is very simple and saves a lot of time.

Monday I researched lawyers on the internet, going from the online yellow pages, for two hours. I contacted one firm through their form, which focuses solely on employment law from the point of view of the employee, not the employer [there were plenty of those.] They must have discerned there was no money in the case, as I never heard from them. I went to Feast at Tacoma, which was also wonderful. I ate a lot of unhealthy but very delicious food. I missed so many Feasts and Holy Days while I was working full time evenings, that I had a lot to "make up."

Tuesday I finally filed for unemployment online, printed out the application for a skilled nursing facility in the north end of Tacoma which is a very classy place, meaning I either will fit in very well, or I won't. I had my final meeting with the Human Resources Director and the Executive Director at my old job, which was at least civil, even though we failed to really come to an agreement about what I should have done during the episode which cost me my job. They did say that they will not release any information to other companies about the circumstances. [So it is up to me and my conscience to report to prospective employers the circumstances of my termination, when they ask.]

Wednesday, May 2 was very busy. I was up very early [for a person working until now on the evening shift] and attended an orientation to WorkSource, what used to be known as the Employment Agency. I came home for lunch, returned and went to a very useful workshop on interviewing skills and techniques, which was very encouraging. I then drove out to a Holy Day celebration in Northeast Tacoma, an hour and fifteen minutes late, but I was welcomed anyway. That was enjoyable, but I wasn't catching up on my sleep.

Thursday I slept in somewhat, went to the Library and returned a DVD which I had waited for months for, but now don't have the time or interest to watch . . . seems like a pity. I'm reading a lot of books by Michael Connelly, enjoying them a lot. Then I attended another seminar on writing resumes and cover letters, which I thought was very useful.

This morning I printed out again the application for the skilled nursing facility I mentioned before. I'd had the impression that they had an online version, so I had used the app. for a "dummy", filling it out as a reference for applying online. Today I realized it is necessary to mail in the app, so I filled out a nice copy, wrote a new resume, and wrote a specific cover letter to the company, signed and delivered to the Post Office to go out on the last pick up.

In the meantime, I heard from a Baha'i who wishes to move to Puyallup, and is staying for a few days in Tukwila. Tomorrow we arranged for me to drive up and bring her to Puyallup to hunt for apartments or whatever. I just printed out three different ways to get there from here, so I can think about which way will be simplest.

After mailing off my application, I went back to Clark Creek park for another walk. The sun again was peeking through the trees, making it a beautiful walk. I decided to bring a walking stick next time, in case I slip in the mud or on a root, or trip or step on a moving piece of gravel. Since I'm not as fit as I used to be, and less adept, also my eyesight is more difficult with progressive lenses, I realized I need to take more precautions. Sad to be aging, and no, it doesn't beat the alternative. But I have lots to do, yet.

I need to cook tonight. Possibly some beet soup, which will last awhile.

Sunday I will file my weekly claim with my job search record [even though I am sure it will be rejected, I have to try], and I'm thinking of taking the family Nature Walk at Titlow Park. Monday, another seminar at WorkSource on skills and job search techniques. I was informed that this particular seminar is good for figuring out how to transfer skills to some other type of job, if possible.

I continue to appreciate the encouragement I receive from everyone.

2 comments:

Soluble Hermit said...

I'm impressed with how you're going about things. Clarks Creek is a lovely walk and I enjoyed hiking there with you. The nearby trails here which I've seen are all level, easy strolls: no hiking trails yet.

I love you always!

Weaner Pigs said...

Thank you, dear one! I hope things are going well at your end.