Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Trudging Along

Tuesday I had an "interview" at "Right at Home" which is an agency for providing home care to private pay patients. My interview went like:

Morris: What can I do for you?
Me: I had an interview scheduled for one o'clock, but I was instructed to come early to fill out paperwork.
Morris: [looking at my manila folder] I don't want to look at your resume. If you were invited to the interview, that is enough. I have quite a bit of paperwork for you to fill out. There is a licensed nurse orientation on Monday I would like you to come to, and I would like you to come in tomorrow at 9:30 to speak with Rimona about a marketing job.

I did not receive a clear answer whether I should continue my UI job search.

So I gathered up a folder with about 20 forms to fill out, plus a job application, even though I had submitted an application online. I requested and received a print-out of my submitted application to aid me in filling out the paper one, as I had not brought info for filling out an application . . . as I had already submitted one. I took rather a tough test for nursing competency, including questions about medications I rarely administer and dosage forms that are rarely used, e.g. grains of morphine and so forth. They took my email to send me a link for a course in administering Cimzin injections for Crohn's Disease and Rheumatoid Arthritis. At home I printed it up, and it was about 100 pages total of course material. Egads.

Then I spent about an hour reproducing my job application, signing forms enabling them to do a background check, and reference checks, and so forth. It was extensive. At no time did I fill out any tax deduction information.

This morning I and another nurse came in and were ushered into the conference room. We spoke with "Mr. Anderson" [the franchise owner] and his wife "Faith" about a job marketing the services of the company to hospitals, skilled nursing facilities etc. Rimona, who performs this job as well as her other administrative duties, also sat in on part of this discussion. We also asked a lot of questions about the company. The other nurse asked about whether the marketing job is paid hourly and received an affirmative. Then she asked, and found out that there is a quota expected of a certain number of referrals for the person to bring in.

Back in the office area I was informed that I need to bring in proof of Hepatitis B vaccines I took at the health department back in 1989, and PPD TB tests which facilities usually administer on campus, so of which I don't have a record. Every other employer I've ever had checks the PPD themselves. This place is different. I also was asked to bring in proof of car insurance, which was a good thing: turns out that whenever I received my last insurance card, apparently I forgot to place it in the vehicle. Anyway, I inquired about filling out tax information and was informed that I was not "hired" until I provided the above information.

Back in the parking lot I spoke with the other nurse, who is already working full time elsewhere, and is  not interested in the marketing position. She said she had a conversation two months ago with an employee no longer in the office, who warned her that the paychecks had been bouncing. We both agreed that this place just has a very weird "vibe" and is very vague in dispensing concrete information. They give the general impression that one is hired, before that is actually true. They had definitely made it clear that they did not have full time work, only part-time. Anyway, this other nurse emailed me later with some referrals for other agencies, which I found very helpful.

I think I will definitely continue my job search.

Following this interview, I went to a dental appointment. It turned out all I needed was a cleaning, and the cleaning was rather cursory as I have been faithfully flossing every morning [yay! personal triumph!] so there wasn't too much buildup. Also, my hygienist and I really enjoy catching up on what is going on with our families.

Then I went to my insurance office and they printed up a proof of insurance card for me. I ate lunch, went to the library, and sat at DeCoursey Park watching the ducklings, which are now mostly Junior Youth and Youth ducks, but there are new sets of the puffball young "'lings'". There were also some Canada Goose goslings, a light blond color of yellow, and larger than the ducklings, naturally. As usual many people fed the ducks, which is prohibited.

Major excitement: I saw a redheaded woodpecker above in the tree across the path from me. Beautiful.

Came home and followed up on my promise to the counselor at WorkSource to take the JobFit skills/behavioral assessment online. The first part was  a lot of fun, answering questions truthfully about my rather sensitive and reactive personality. Then there were a lot of algebra questions, some of which I could figure out,  and questions about numerical sequences which I absolutely had no clue how to solve. Then I received a PDF-like file with a report of jobs they thought I might match up with.

I spoke with Enayat on the phone yesterday and he is still lucid and stable. Boy will I be embarrassed if he miraculously improves. However, I'm thinking that his lab values [Creatinine 13 and low hemoglobin and hematocrit] don't lie. He's just doing well because of the intensive treatments he received at the hospital. We'll all just have to see what happens next.


2 comments:

Margo said...

Wow, what an arduous day! Good thing you smelled a rat when you did. I joke sometimes here about my job being good (even during hard times) because "the checks don't bounce." I'm also glad to hear that Enayat is holding okay for now.

Weaner Pigs said...

Thanks! I'm learning to listen to my gut, which works better when I'm not so stressed out, as extreme anxiety masks the feelings.

Looks like Enayat's daughter and son in law are taking him to Massachusetts to look after while he lives. I'm proud of them: they are made of stern stuff.