Saturday, May 26, 2012

Medical Care for the Non-Medical Person

This morning when I turned on my cell I heard from my husband's daughter that yesterday evening's lab work showed critical values and they were trying to find a way to transport him to the hospital, even though he had not answered his cell phone. Eventually with the help of his daughter's friend, he was transported to the hospital by ambulance, where I met him and spent the day. After lots of tests, it turned out that he needs dialysis.

It's taking my husband some time to come to terms with the realization that he needs dialysis. He declined to have it today, and said he would decided by tomorrow. Meanwhile his daughter is flying in tomorrow morning. The other option is Hospice care.

I think he realizes that he needs dialysis if he is going to be able to do the things he wishes to do, but he just isn't fully reconciled to it. This is a person who has never been to a medical doctor in 42 years, so the idea of needing intensive medical care is kind of a shock. He just always thought he would be healthy forever simply because he is a vegetarian.

I'll return in the morning.

No comments: