Saturday, January 24, 2009

Safety: Inner Meanings

So my passport is safe, my daughter is safe, and after I made several trips to California from Washington via Alaska Airlines, I have figured out that most airplanes stay aloft most of the time, so I'm not concerned about flight per se. So, what is safety? Staying alive? Well, that's temporary.

I worry most about things that cause major inconvenience: I don't want to miss my flight.

My relatives and work friends are worried about my safety in Israel. From my point of view, while Israel is situated perilously from a geographical and political standpoint, the Baha'i Holy Shrines are probably the safest place on earth. Somehow I feel that place is protected spiritually. But then I reflect on Iran, the birthplace of the Baha'i Faith, and I wonder. The Baha'is from the outset were attacked with some of the bloodiest violence and vehement opposition ever seen, and the Faith is strongly opposed by the clergy, government and citizenry to this day.

Still, I'm not worried about safety in Israel. I'd be more concerned about visiting a high school or mall in the US on the wrong day.

"I swear by my life: nothing save that which profiteth them can befall My loved ones."

~Baha'u'llah

No comments: