Thursday, August 20, 2009

I'm Here, Aren't I

One of the techniques in long term care for administrative staff to keep "control", consciously or not, is to keep staff off balance by making changes and threatening people's positions. "Homeland" just announced a "Staffing Model Adjustment." Currently there are a charge nurse and two medication nurses [plus a treatment nurse straddling both shifts] for both day and evening shift. The plan is to have two charge nurses work twelve hour shifts together during the day, and leave the evening shift after 8 PM [a busy time] bereft of their charge nurse.

It was also announced that current charge nurses, such as myself, are required to reapply for their positions. For nearly four years I have worked my tail off perfecting my skills, and getting the work done as efficiently as possible. It would seem I have proven myself in this position. Now I am required to reapply.

I asked the DNS if she was trying to get rid of me, and what reapplying would look like, and was instructed to write a "letter of interest." Here is my letter of interest:

"At 'Homeland' the charge nurses are privileged to work with the finest professionals in the field, and the bedrock of nursing care--our nursing assistants. We also serve together with some of the most caring, passionate, experienced and well-trained nurses in Pierce County. We are all selflessly devoted in our service to one common cause: the comfort, healing, recovery and wholeness of the residents and families entrusted to our care.

This is my Letter of Interest: that I am here.

'Let deeds, not words, be your adorning.'

~Baha'u'llah.

Sincerely,

Arlene Sobhani,
Registered Nurse"

2 comments:

Rachel said...

That is the most perfect "letter of interest" I could possibly imagine. As always, you have my respect, admiration, and love.

Anonymous said...

right on...

what is wrong with people!

love ya,
Deb