Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Immerse Yourselves

United Spiritual Gathering Councilfire Part 3:

Part of my attraction to the ocean, the reason I don't want to live in Montana or somewhere away from the ocean, is looking out to an apparently infinite horizon. It's very relaxing. I also, though not a great swimmer, like to wade in up to my waist or so and let the incoming waves hit me. I got to wade in the ocean on Saturday at Neah Bay.

The ocean is cold, and wading out takes some fortitude, but in about ten minutes my legs become numb, and I can stay out for awhile, letting the waves come in. [Later I need some hours to thaw out, sitting in my great solar collector, the car, or in the tent.] There's a sense of purification about the waves. Usually any emotional pain I've been having comes to the forefront; this year I wasn't feeling so much. I'm speculating that, rather than some deep well of emotional pain that I carry sloshing around, pain is something that used to be continually created by bad relationships.

Another person was out in the waves a few yards away. I saw her turn her back, and was thinking that I wouldn't turn my back to such a powerful force. I would be focusing my attention on it. This led to a meditation on devoting myself to Baha'u'llah in whatever occupation I find myself.

"Immerse yourselves in the ocean of My words, that you may unravel its secrets, and discover all the pearls of wisdom that lie hid in its depths. " ~ Baha'u'llah

No comments: