Saturday, August 1, 2009

It's What You Do That Matters

In the last week or two of sweating, sweltering heat, multiple admissions at work [which is only air conditioned where people walk in, but not where they live], and other draining things, I've been mulling over this wonderful monologue from Baha'i Views, "How To Tell Someone That What They Said Sounded Racist."

It isn't the are you/aren't you a racist part that I was thinking about, but the clarity of the underlying principle: it isn't what you are, it's what you do, that one can be held accountable for.

This helps me a lot. I feel as if I'm on stage because I'm blogging about my choice to start eating plant foods only. Today I took my daughter to breakfast after her driving lesson, and being Saturday morning in the very popular Hanger Inn in Puyallup, the only table available was smack in front of the door, in the way of the servers, and basically on stage for diners entering and exiting. "Boy, those are big pancakes!" "Thanks, I ordered them myself."

On stage. I use the label "Vegan" a lot online when I search for recipes and support, but I've decided that is not what I am. True Vegans avoid products with glycerin, leather, and every kind of sneaky animal-sourced materials which find their way into our food and so forth, which makes them very picky. I love leather. I love the way it smells and feels: Vegans would say, so did the cow/deer/elk/horse/pig/sheep.

I'm not a "Vegan." I'm just a person who mainly eats just plants.

No comments: