Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Arlene's Weird Foods: Soyruzo

A few years ago I discovered a tasty and interesting pork-based substance to add to things such as chili, called Choruzo. This lasted until Husband # 1 read the exceptionally detailed ingredient label and refused to eat my chili any more. Then, a few years later, when I was willing to explore truly weird, meatless foods such as soy milk and fake meat, I discovered Soyruzo, similar mushy texture and spicy flavor as Choruzo, but without the meat or, especially, the nasty bits.

Soyruzo has become difficult to find, but I ran across it in Safeway the other day.

Arlene's Weird Food formula for experimentation: take something with protein, a vegetable &/or whole grain, add interesting flavors if necessary, and create a concept for mixing it all together for maximum nourishment, flavor and interest. Today's experiment involved chard, tofu, and soyruzo. I steamed the chard leaves in the microwave, mixed tofu [favorite brand, Mori Nu], soyruzo, and added some basil and oregano leaves [dry, flaked.] I stuffed the softened chard leaves with the tofu/soyruzo mixture and rolled them up like grape leaves, with the veins on the outside. This actually took less time than it takes to tell it. I also drink the liquid resulting from boiling or steaming vegetables, called "pot liquor" by the old-fashioned, to recapture more nutrients.

At work, the break room is a place everyone can evaluate my dinner as they pass by on their way out to smoke. We are not allowed to discuss politics, religion, or each other, but food is apparently fair game. I sometimes receive edifying and courteous comments such as "Ew. Green food?" But more often, "That smells good!"

On to work.

No comments: