Saturday, March 28, 2009

Bring Out Your Dead

"A moose once bit my sister."

If you recognize this line from a series of credits, you are probably a fan or one-time fan of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail," which I watched with Enayat last night as a retribution for a myriad evenings of Persian movies.

Enayat always maintains that all I need to do to learn Farsi is to listen to the language, watch a few movies, and voila. I finally told him I'm no longer interested in learning Farsi. Not because it's the truth, but because, as I mentioned, I'm tired of the pressure. If I wanted to learn calculus, I'd learn because A] I studied it or B] someone was continually saying, "If you just learned calculus you'd be amazed! You'd say, 'Wow!'" Now when he proposes to watch a movie sans subtitles for the purpose of learning Farsi, I propose watching a movie in Chinese without subtitles so he can learn Chinese.

My first viewing of "Holy Grail" was in the auditorium at WSU with Allan when we were dating. The sound quality was awful, the foriegn language [rapid-fire British] was incomprehensible, and every line was shouted out loud along with the movie by the audience. [They didn't throw toast. That's another movie.] And there was spurting blood everywhere and whaling on wailing cats. I hated it. It took a few more viewings to appreciate it.

I wonder what that initial audience is doing now. They're probably a bunch of accountants feverishly planning for their retirements.

Enayat did smile at some of the scenes. Such as the Holy Hand Grenade.

"She turned me into a newt! . . . I got better."

No comments: