Thursday, March 12, 2009

Miscellanea Under the Full Moon

Last most interesting books: "A Thousand Splendid Suns," by the author of "Kite Runner"; "A Mermaid's Tale," by Ann Medlock; and "The Truth," by Al Franken. The first I read on the return trip from Israel, a harrowing story of abuse and survival during the Taliban years. The second, another harrowing tale of abuse, this time emotional. And the last, the abuse of the public by the lies told by the last administration as it blundered into another unwinnable war [sorry soldiers and veterans. It's not your fault!!] Winning, to me, being the reunification and reorganization of Iraq into a viable, peaceful, self-directed country. If the USA stays, it's war. If the USA leaves, it's war. Sorry.

I don't feel so brilliant this afternoon. Three tough days at work. Have a patient that had a blood transfusion the day before, then chills, fever and vomiting over 24 hours later. Up to me and the doctor on call to decide: should he stay or should he go [to hospital.] It was a long time after the transfusion to be a reaction, and looked like a violent case of the GI flu. But one can't be sure. With one nurse hovering, saying, "Ooh, he needs to go bye-bye." And the doctor and my inner voice saying, "Wait and let's see." But it's a hard inner voice to follow! Gradually the nausea and fever subsided. But I wouldn't be surprised if the night nurse sent him out.

Arrived at Eatonville [my home away from home] at 0300, so not very perky today. I phoned my tax lady at H & R Block, with whom I've had an excellent rapport for the last two years, only to find she wasn't there, is now doing administrative work. So I have an appointment with "just somebody" in the same office tomorrow. I hope it works out as well as it has in the past. I'm sure Lisa is wonderful in her new position and deserves what sounds like a promotion, but I hope the other folks in the office have as good customer skills.

I haven't blogged recently because of flu, of leading a busy but boring life with every minute needed to catch up on sleep. But the boring life makes it difficult to blog. On the other hand I now [gasp] have two followers, so I feel the need to stay in the game. Not every entry can be as interesting as the ones previous! Aargh.

No comments: