Wednesday, April 29, 2009

A Day With My Daughter

I spent the day, a Holy Day, with my daughter. Last night she was soaking the beans I gave her; today I showed her how to get them cooking on low, while we spent an hour with her practicing handling the car, driving around and around a housing development. Then I drove to Trader Joe's hoping to find some good protein sources. In Asian restaurants they have pre-sauteed tofu. They did have baked tofu at Trader Joe's. And some papaya mango salsa, and Pearl selected an orchid for me for Mother's Day.

At home again I showed her how to make the quesadillas I'd been making with corn tortillas: because the tortillas are brittle, it's necessary to make them like tostadas and fold them over when you put them on the plate; after they cook they become flexible. We used her cooked beans, the salsa, and some of the pound of Colby I bought just before I turned the corner and resolved not to eat animal products. She had them with cheese, I'm having them without. And not feeling sorry for myself, either!

My copy of "The China Study" just arrived last night and I'm at least a third of the way through it. I love the way it doesn't preach, nor does it whine about all the poor dead animals we kill every day. It just gives the facts.

Off soon to celebrate the Ninth Day of Ridvan in Northeast Tacoma again, and I hope Jay and Kristina are there so we can talk more. I can use some classes, although getting together with Kristina might be problematical. And I arranged to drive with Pearl about an hour most days until she has her six hours driving time homework done. And I sent away for an owner's manual for her car.

No comments: