Monday, April 20, 2009

The True Station of Christ, Part Two

Just as I mentioned a few months ago that in life everything has an inward and an outward reality, Jesus Christ really has two stations: the human, and the divine.

Just as I gave the example several months ago: On the last Thursday of November, in the United States, I can eat a meal of turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce, mashed potatoes and gravy, and finish with pumpkin pie; that does not mean I just experienced "Thanksgiving." It is Thanksgiving if I eat with gratitude and in the fellowship of my friends and family, remembering the sacrifice of the early European pilgrims to this continent and the assistence of and their reliance on the Indian natives who helped them to survive; with whom they gathered in a meal of unity and fellowship.

The human station of Jesus Christ really is that of the individual, Jesus. This is the man that walked the dusty, rocky roads of Palestine, sleeping on the ground, the man who had his individual name, "Jesus"; who lived in a certain time, spoke a certain language [Aramaic], dressed according to the times, had certain racial characteristics and facial features, ate certain foods, and lived among a certain people. Baha'u'llah says, ["Book of Certitude" copyright Baha'i Publishing Trust]:

"Thus Jesus, Son of Mary, whilst seated one day and speaking in the strain of the Holy Spirit, uttered words such as these: 'O people! My food is the grass of the field, wherewith I satisfy my hunger. My bed is the dust, my lamp in the night the light of the moon, and my steed my own feet. Behold, who on earth is richer than I?' By the righteousness of God! Thousands of treasures circle around this poverty, and a myriad kindoms of glory yearn for such abasement! Shouldst thou attain to a drop of the ocean of the inner meaning of these words, thou wouldst surely forsake the world and all that is therein . . ."

But even this quotation shares a glimpse of the other station of Christ, the divine.

Viewed in the light of Jesus' human station, "the station of distinction, differentiation, temporal limitations, characteristics and standards," Jesus would manifest "utter destitution absolute servitude, and complete self-effacement. Even as He saith: 'I am the servant of God. I am but a man like you.' "

However, were Christ, the divine station of Jesus Christ, to declare: " 'I am God!' He verily speaketh the truth, and no doubt attacheth thereto."

So what, for the Christian believer, makes the difference? Jesus was the individual: Christ is a perfect mirror, reflecting the Holy Spirit, the words of God for humanity, revealing the Revelation of God, connecting the heart of the believer with her true beloved, God.

Again, great news for Christians: for people who are not Christians, hang on!

No comments: