Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Road Home Part One

2-11-9 Air France Flight 2221

We waited up all night in Ben Gurion Airport, unable to check in prior to three hours before the flight, each party slipping away as their time came up. We dozed, I ate fried potatoes and hot chocolate in the slowest and strangest McDonalds in the world.

Leaving Israel was a nightmare.

1] At the appropriate check-in area, our bags are x-rayed and we are quizzed repeatedly about thue purpose of our visit and our luggage. I break down and confess my folding tatting scissors, which I then put into the pocket of my leather backpack, thinking to check it. [Later I see a guideline posted in France: the limit is scissors with four-inch blades, and my scissors come nowhere near.]

2] The baggage is tagged. Enayat's suitcase is pulled aside and pawed through.

3] I show passport and receive boarding pass and check the luggage.

4] We proceed to screening. Enayat has no boarding pass. [In Seattle, I only had to show my passport to obtain both boarding passes.]

5] Back to #3. Enayat receives boarding pass.

6] Carry-ons are screened. No shoe removal.

7] Onward to gate. I took backpack as carry-on anyway, with the scissors in the pocket.

I dozed on the plane a little prior takeoff. Enayat had a pleasant lady from Canada to chat with in the seat next to him. I ran to the restroom before breakfast while the seat belt sign was still lit, the flight attendents earnestly entreating me that I was responsible for any risk I was taking.

No comments: