Friday, February 13, 2009

The Road To Pilgrimage: January 29, 2009, Part 1

One AM Tacoma time: 1-29-9, Thursday, Charles de Gaulle airport:

A long taxi to gate at airport; a long trek to security; another long trek to a train, which Enayat boards ten seconds before the gates close, leaving me there and sliding away with a blase wave. He was waiting when I caught up. Our cell phones don't work overseas, which I knew, but he had to test.

We have arrived in a strange land. Case in point: orange toilets.

0600 Paris time [on flight], soon the sun will rise, it's almost light. I can just discern a strip of land, dark against the sea, far below. It's oddly long and straight, and there are no lights on this remote area. Later I realize I'm seeing the aircraft wing.

I've been tatting, making old-fashioned lace with a tatting shuttle and folding scissors which have gone through security twice so far.

No comments: