Friday, February 13, 2009

The Road To Pilgrimage: January 29, 2009, Part 2

1-29-9 Thursday, Tel Aviv, Sun City Hotel

I had not slept since 0600 yesterday, Tacoma time, coming up on 24 hours when we boarded the Air France flight in Paris to Tel Aviv. It hit me on the plane, sitting in a nice sunny window seat, total exhaustion, near heat stroke, nausea. Got one or two hours light sleep. Great view of the Alps, then had to close the window shades to stay alive. Then I got claustrophobia. Difficult flight with feeling ill.

In Ben Gurion Airport we followed signs for Passport Control and Baggage Claim, Enayat making friends all along the way, asking about the elaborate sign outside the window in Hebrew: "Welcome Home." In Passport control I showed my Baha'i ID card for the first time to an outside official agency. Difficult time locating the train. At this time I'm in severe sleep deprivation, we're getting directions for the stop we need in Tel Aviv. On the train I gave away my heavy American pocket change to a beggar collecting for a charity [I was the only individual on the car she approached.]

Found the taxi stand, gave Sun City address to the driver. Weird traffic lights: they turn yellow prior turning green. I'm so glad I didn't elect to drive here. Found Sun City, they charged 360 shekels for one night . . . tiny room, no shampoo or washcloth, I just want to sleep forever. Almost.

Someone played music loudly all night in another room. I called the desk to complain, the decibels went from 90 decibels to 70. It was that way for our entire stay in Tel Aviv, and I slept little.

No comments: