Thursday, February 19, 2009

The Road Home Part Two

2-11-9 Wednesday, 1245 Newark Time, Air France 018

Charles de Gaulle Airport was worse than Ben Gurion. We had one hour after landing to check in for the connecting flight, fifteen minutes of which was spent waiting for the plane to empty. Long trek through Terminal 2E, which is probably bigger than Seatac itself. Again the train [this time, together] and through security, then running all the way to Gate 42E where they were making the last boarding call.

To my astonishment, at the gate we were searched and patted down and our luggage searched very thoroughly. They called this a random check. I call it profiling: a Caucasian woman and a Middle Eastern man running at the last minute up to the gate. I kept my opinions to myself.

In Newark we will have two hours to go through Passport Control, Baggage Claim, Recheck luggage, and report to Alaska Airlines.

I tried to watch the movie "Get Smart" but couldn't hear well or follow the plot. I tried to watch "And Then She Found Me," which I watched last year with my daughter in the Grand Cinema, but it was too painful, and they were serving dinner. I ended up reading most of the novel, "A Thousand Splendid Suns," by Khaled Hosseini, the author of "The Kite Runner." Now listening to Classical music, the rather ominous Requiem by Mozart.

No comments: